OK, I know this a quick post since the last one, but feast your eyes on the most precious little girl Grace.
I got a call at around 11:30 AM on Tuesday August 21st from Suzanne our social worker at Bethany. She had just received a call from the Gwinnett County DFCS office that she didn't have a lot of information yet, but there is a baby girl born pre-mature and did she know of a couple looking to foster to adopt. Since the case was so new, they didn't really have all the information. I called Michael and my heart had already said YES, what an answer to prayer!! Within hours Michael and I were at Gwinnett Medical Center (a mere 10 miles from our house) meeting little Grace. If you know Atlanta, there are many hospitals and this one is the closest to our house, how lucky are we! When I say Little Grace, I mean little......she was born at 31 weeks and she weighed 3 lbs. 4.5 ounces. She is being fed with a feeding tube until she is old enough to take a bottle. Right now developmentally she can't work the suck, swallow, and breathe thing all at once to take a bottle. She is breathing on her own, and the nurses say she is doing great. Her due date was 10/13/07 so they will use that as the latest date that she would be able to come home. But, as soon as she puts on more weight....and can maintain it, can keep her body temp constant, and can take a bottle they can release her earlier. We are thinking 1 month at the earliest to 2 months max.
When the birth mother checked out of the hospital, she said she didn’t think she wanted to parent. DFCS has tried to follow up with her now that she is in DFCS custody, the birth mother gave a bogus phone number and a non-existent address to the hospital, and the they cannot locate her at this point. They will continue to try and locate her, the birth father and any family members that are out there.
Best case scenario is that both parents terminate, family declines, and we adopt her......sounds easy, but it is probably over a year before we would be able to finalize the adoption even if everything sounds easy. So either way, in the mean time we would be her foster parents until all the kinks are worked out.
Everyone wants to know what they can do, and we are so grateful to everyone and their generosity. We have a crib, dresser, and changing table we are borrowing from friends. DFCS will provide a car seat. We have been offered lots of hand-me-down clothes and other things that we will need that friends aren't using any more. Then there are loads of diapers and formula that we will need. We will probably wait a couple of weeks, to see how things play out as more information gets revealed. Either way we would still foster since they would want a stable environment and any family or parents would have to be researched before they would turn her over. So hold tight and we will register and let you know what we need most. We are so blessed by our families back up north and our Georgia family, it is truly amazing!
So keep checking and we will post pictures and more updates.......
Thank you for your love and prayers, we are so grateful for all of you! Michael & Jodi


12 comments:
I am just so excited!! God is amazing! I have to go forward this email to other family members but will write more later. I also will be thanking God for giving that little girl such wonderful parents. She is gorgeous!!
Love,
Louise
Congratulations! She is such a beautiful baby, and she would be so lucky to have y'all as her parents. I hope and pray this little girl is given the chance to be loved and raised by a family who will always love and support her like I know you will.
Best wishes and lots of love,
Jessica P.
WOW! I am very happy for you both and will continue to pray for God's will to be at work here! I would love to meet her when you get her home!
Love,
Melissa
Oh my, is her name really Grace?! That is so perfect!! This is God's grace working in your lives. I absolutely had the chills reading your update and looking at the pictures. We will continue to keep you and Mike and now Baby Grace in our prayers!
Love,
The Tropeanos
Congratulations! Grace is such a precious little baby and very lucky to have you two there for her. Our prayers are with all of you. We know what wonderful parents you will be. Keep us updated on the good news.
Jim and Carolyn
Jodi and Mike,
What a wonderful time for you both. Having lived through many of your same struggles I know what an amazing feeling you must be experiencing. It's been too long since we've been in touch, but please know we send our love and best wishes! If you want to talk "premies" feel free to call us! We've been there, just think you get to have an infant longer than most people!! They grow so fast!
Our best,
Lynne and Dan Cole
Jodi and Mike,
What a wonderful time for you both. Having lived through many of your same struggles I know what an amazing feeling you must be experiencing. It's been too long since we've been in touch, but please know we send our love and best wishes! If you want to talk "premies" feel free to call us! We've been there, just think you get to have an infant longer than most people!! They grow so fast!
Our best,
Lynne and Dan Cole
I'm waiting to hear more from you, guess you're a bit busy (no doubt). Tony was happy have talked to Mike yesterday, we're all just so excited about this. You made my day yesterday! All my neighbors had to hear about it, you have lots of prayers going your way. Hope all's going well!
Louise
Jodi (and Mike),
Not sure if you remember me -- I am Beth Tropeano's sister, Jenny Kapic. Beth called me today to tell me about your great news. Beth is thrilled for you guys! I loved hearing the story of how little Grace came to be in your lives, so I came here to the website. The Kapic family will keep all three of you in our prayers.
We love your story and we can't wait to hear the happy ending! Grace is SUCH a blessed little girl already.
Sincerely,
Jenny Kapic and family
JoJo and I are ECSTATIC!!! God IS amazing and true to His word. She is absolutely beautiful, perfect! She has been given wonderful, caring parents -- she is so blessed, as you both are, too! Can't wait to meet her in person! By the way, what a great 'first family photo!'
Love, Deborah and JoJo C.
Jodi,
What a beautiful way to let me know that you are doing great. I think about you often and where your path has taken you. I can see now...MOTHERHOOD. God Bless you, Michael and Baby Grace. She is darling. Please keep me posted. Call me when you have settled yourself.
Love Kathy (Teknion)
Post a Comment